Kids bored at home? Facebook has got something for you to keep them engaged. The social giant has come up with an awesome fun activity idea for kids during lockdown. Facebook announced that the new Facebook Messenger Kids App is all ready to entertain and keep your kids engaged. Company is launching its messenger kids app in over 70 countries including India. You can find lists of all countries on help page on Facebook’s website where app is available. Facebook has now expanded its Messenger app in new markets after successfully trying and testing the app in US, Canada and Peru. Facebook Kids Messenger App was first launched in US in 2017 with Canada and Peru being the next in 2018. Facebook says that the App is being launched in more countries as children around the world are learning remotely at home due to COVID-19 pandemic and such an App at this time can prove as a boon to the children.
What is Facebook Messenger Kids App?
It is basically a free messaging and video calling app for phones and tablets. The new App is specifically designed for kids. Kids under 13 years of age can use it. In lockdown, Kids can keep in touch with close friends and family with all new cool stickers and fun filters. To make video chat more interesting, messenger app includes kid-friendly filters, cool sound effects and funny reactions. Besides, there will be more stickers, GIF’s, drawing tools to let kids be more creative and express themselves in a better way. Phone numbers is not required for kids to register with this app. There are no ads or purchases displayed on messenger kids app. The key point is kids can do unlimited fun but under parental supervision. Facebook claims the App to be “Made for Kids. Controlled by Parents”.
Facebook Messenger Kids App New Features
Along with the expansion in new markets, Facebook also announced that there will be three more new features in the App which helps parents to find and connect their kids with other kids easily. Antigone Davis, Global Head of Safety at Facebook said “One of the biggest challenges we’ve heard from parents and kids is that it’s hard to find kids’ friends and connect with them in Kids Messenger, so we’re adding three new options to help parents connect kids with their friends”.
Here are 3 key features of App to help kids and parents. Features have already been launched in US and will be gradually coming in other countries.
- Supervised Friending : This feature allow parents to control the accept, reject, Add or remove the contacts requests and can supervise all the notifications. Dr Lewis Bernstein, a member of Facebook’s Youth Advisors, says “This is a powerful opportunity and teachable moment for parents to have a conversation with their kids about the life-long skill of choosing one’s friends, both face to face and online. In addition to allowing parents more ways to manage their child’s messaging experience, Supervised Friending develops kids’ autonomy to decide who they do or don’t want to connect with, while parents can observe, provide guidance and step in as necessary.”
- Controlling Group: This feature allow parents to manage the groups in Messenger Such as Groups of children, teachers, trainers etc. Parents can approve adults, other children to add their child name into any new group.
- Parent Dashboard: This feature allow parents to entirely monitor , review and control child activities and also includes an activity log that help parents to see with whom they are chatting and what they are sharing.
How to Download Facebook Messenger Kids App?
Messenger app is available for iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, and all Android devices. Currently, you cannot access Messenger kids in PC. It is available for mobile phone and tablets. You can download Messenger Kids from the App Store, Amazon Appstore, or Google Play Store.
How to use Facebook Messenger Kids App?
You can easily configure and use Facebook Messenger App with the following steps:
Step 1: Download the App by clicking the respective link: App Store, Amazon Appstore, or Google Play Store
Step 2: You need to authenticate your kids device using your Facebook account login. Please be noted:
- No need to create your child Facebook account separately.
- No phone number is required.
Step 3: You need to enter name of your child to create account
Step 4: Next, you’ll landed into parent dashboard. Here you can manage and set up control.
How Facebook Messenger Kids App is Helpful your kid?
As social distance is the need of hour, everyone around the world is in the same trauma. Even kids are not exceptional. Facebook took the initiative to launch kids messaging app. It will help your kids to be socially active during lockdown. Children can do video call to their friends, family members, elderly to stay in touch. It is designed specially for kids with unlimited fun stuff to keep them cheerful. It can be used by schools, tutors to make online study a bit interesting. Its always good idea to add fun elements while studying. It is quite a challenge for parents to make their kids study online especially for kids below 6 years. Facebook Messenger App is equally beneficial both for kids and parents.
Is Facebook Messenger Kids App safe For your Kid?
Facebook has taken the complete responsibility of protecting the privacy of the children using this app. Facebook also claims that Messenger kids online is safe for kids below 13 years Facebook said “the new features were developed with its Youth Advisors, an advisory group made up of child development, media and online safety experts.” Although, when this App was launched in US in 2017, there were a few controversies in US for security loopholes. To address all of them, company has added three new features and intensively tested the app before launch.
So, are you excited to use new Facebook Messenger App for your kids? Do tell us in the comment section below.
To stay updated,
Like us on Facebook,
Join our Telegram Channel